It’s natural to feel overwhelmed sometimes. However, too much stress can be detrimental to your overall health. It can lead to mental health problems, increased risk of cardiovascular disease and even poor gut health—which in turn elevates levels of stress.
Hydration, eating healthy meals and receiving routinely chiropractic care all help in the long term, but what can you do right now?
How-To: Diaphragmatic Breathing
This deep-breathing technique helps slow the heartbeat, stabilize blood pressure and get more oxygen circulating throughout the body. Here’s how you do it:
1. Stand, sit or lay comfortably, spine straight and head and neck relaxed.
2. Put one hand on your chest and one hand on your stomach just below your ribcage.
3. Inhale slowly through your nose, so that your stomach pushes against your hand. Keep the hand on your
chest as still as possible!
4. Breathe out slowly through your mouth, tightening your stomach muscles. And remember—keep the hand on your
5. Repeat for several minutes.